Course Code IV.B.28 Ss
INFORMATICS – SOCIETY AND EDUCATION
Core course VIII
Number of credits : 4
Aim of the Course
· To make the students aware of the social issues and concerns in the use of digital technology and to equip the students to effectively utilize the digital knowledge resources. for their studies.
Objectives of the course
· To review the basic concepts & functional knowledge in the field of informatics.
· To create awareness about nature of the emerging digital knowledge society.
· To create awareness about major informatics initiatives in India and Kerala.
· To impart skills to enable students to use digital knowledge resources in learning.
Module I KNOWLEDGE SKILLS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION
Data, information and knowledge, knowledge management - internet as a knowledge repository, academic search techniques, creating cyber presence, case study of academic websites, open access initiatives, open access publishing models. Basic concepts of IPR, copyrights and patents, plagiarism, License, Guarantee, Warranty, Introduction to use of IT in teaching and learning, case study of educational software, academic services – INFLIBNET, NICNET, BRNET.
Module II SOCIAL INFORMATICS
It & Society – issues and concerns –digital divide, IT & development, the free software movement, IT industry: new opportunities and new threats, software piracy, cyber ethics, cyber crime, cyber threats, cyber security, privacy issues, cyber laws, cyber addictions, information overload, health issues-guide lines for proper usage of computers, internet and mobile phones. E-wastes and green computing, impact of IT on language & culture-location issues-Unicode-IT and regional languages.
Module III IT APPLICATIONS
E- Governance applications at national and state level, IT for national integration, overview of IT application in medicine, healthcare, business, commerce, industry, defense, law, crime Detection, publishing, communication, resource management, weather forecasting, education, film and media, IT in service of disabled, futuristic IT-Artificial Intelligence, Virtual Reality, Bio-Computing.
- Teacher: Dr. Sangamesan K. M. K. M.