- Understand the overarching perspectives we employ while carrying out research.
- Understand that a theoretical question is also a question on the nature of historical knowledge.
- Reflect on the knowledge that we produce
- Locate the thrusts that made it possible to create this knowledge in the place of many others.
- Analyse the theoretical perspectives that are decisive with regard to a historian's choice of research topics, sources and research outcomes.
- Assess the discipline and its social dimensions/ implications.